How it all began...

The idea had been circling in my head for years. But the time was right and I could no longer fight the wanderlust that had built up. I bought a 1977 GMC NuWa motor home, threw a solar panel on top and started getting it ready for the open road. My main goal: to wander around North America, catching up with old friends, visiting new places and experiencing things I haven't before. This is my story...

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Alter Egos and Installations

Bakersfield, CA - Since beginning my trip, I have taken on several different "alter egos" that come out as needed. There is "Bill the Surly Mechanic" that arrives when I don the blue coveralls to work on various projects on the rig. Then there is "Georgie Boy"...the dapper gentleman that appears sporting a Derby Hat and jacket. Now I will be adding "First Mate Samuel" to the mix since I just bought an inflatable kayak! Why would I be First Mate and not Captain, you may ask? Well, obviously Stella will be Captain of this seaworthy vessel...duh. The kayak will aid me in exploring the world! (or at least the small lakes in California)

There were several project I was working on while still in Pahrump, one of which was building an outdoor shower attached to my rig! I've placed several photos below for anyone that is interested in the setup...this design was courtesy of Bob and Wayne, fellow van dwellers. I know this may seem trivial since I already have a shower inside my rig, but it is an amazing experience to take a shower outside with the warm sun beaming down upon your shoulders. 'Tis the good life!

After leaving Pahrump, I headed to California to visit my cousin, Karen, who lives in Apple Valley with her partner, Gina, and their two kids, Joe and Josh. I had an incredible time despite the fact that it included having a 10 and 12 year old beat me in basketball. Retribution came in the form of me picking them up and throwing them around. If you can't beat 'em, just throw 'em! Ha!
Now I am sitting in Bakersfield visiting with my friend Roger. We played volleyball in the park yesterday and I learned a valuable lessons...daily walks just doesn't cut it when it comes to jumping, lunging and diving. By the third game my legs were jello and my shoulder was killing me. Roger just laughed at me. So what is the plan tonight? Ultimate Frisbee games, which means more running, lunging and diving. I am so screwed. I will be the slow one on the field that everyone wants to guard. Trust me, though, I am not necessarily complaining...it feels great to get out and run around. Makes me feel like a young chap once again (that was dapper Georgie Boy talking).




2 comments:

  1. "Dive" while playing ultimate? Do you mean "layout"? 'Cause I've NEVER seen you do that, Georgie Boy. Gotta say, tho'...you're looking quite fetching in the bowler there...yeah, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as usual..I enjoyed your post..love the picture of you with the vino.. heh heh. I drve through Bakersfield last year ! Have fun !

    ReplyDelete