How it all began...

The idea had been circling in my head for years. But the time was right and I could no longer fight the wanderlust that had built up. I bought a 1977 GMC NuWa motor home, threw a solar panel on top and started getting it ready for the open road. My main goal: to wander around North America, catching up with old friends, visiting new places and experiencing things I haven't before. This is my story...

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 2: In Salida

Though sleeping in a bit, Kim and I were determined to do something active today. We thought briefly of skiing at Monarch, but decided against the extra cost. Instead we headed to Monarch Pass for some snowshoeing. Well, make that hiking, since we didn't actually use the snowshoes. But it was a wonderful hike up to Old Monarch Pass where we enjoyed a beautiful view and some snacks. Oh and Stella burying her head in the snow searching for critters of any size.

On the way up I had underestimated how much gas the rig would consume on the haul up to 10,000 feet. Thus, we pretty much coasted the entire way back down to Salida so that I could fill up on gas. That was my first lesson: my rig burns gas like I breath oxygen...constantly.

We spent a few hours walking around Salida then headed back to the Leesely's for dinner. Michael had prepared a wonderful Indian Curry for us and I complimented the mean with some Mango and Sticky Rice (delicious!). We then sat around, sipping our beers and having another great conversation. Tomorrow we get back on the road...

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're actually following that dream, way to go Brian! Of course, you will be missed here....by somebody...probably.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw your posting at your old office.

    Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

    Jason in Denver, from Golden

    ReplyDelete